Thread: a/c question

a/c question

since I haven't posted in ahile and I been thinking about posting this here it goes

my 02 a/c is blowing hot air when I stop at red light, in traffic. but seems to be fine when I first start it & when im driving, It blows cold (enough) till It gets warm and im at a light/traffic. thenstarts to blow warmer/ warm air. soon as I get going above 25mph for more than a few hundred feet it cools of again. WTF!!!! any ideas? also I live in vegas and it was 117 sunday. also it seems to do this on any day closer to 80/90 and up. and in vegas I need a/c I got 3 kids and a wife there begging me to get this fixed.

I have a few ideas in my head of what it could be but im not expert. I know a lot of cars in this town don't have that problem mostly newer ones. but Idk anything about the a/c system and I don't truct anyone here in this town to look at it. just rather knock it out myself.

thanks in advance guys
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

sent pm

My 01 does the same thing, but really on HOT days...

I suspect it may be a slightly low charge.

but im not sure
    this is a test of the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin Low View Post
    My 01 does the same thing, but really on HOT days...

I suspect it may be a slightly low charge.

but im not sure
    That was my first thought. Measure and get it charged up. It also means there is a leak somewhere, but probably small enough it won't disappear over night.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

see if you can hear the compressor kicking on and off, if it kicks off then you have a leak and a low charge.

your clutch on the fan could also be going out and not pulling air through the condensor which will cause the system to build too much pressure and kick off while sitting still. Then when you start moving again, it cools and doesn't build pressure.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    see if you can hear the compressor kicking on and off, if it kicks off then you have a leak and a low charge.

your clutch on the fan could also be going out and not pulling air through the condensor which will cause the system to build too much pressure and kick off while sitting still. Then when you start moving again, it cools and doesn't build pressure.
    Unfortunately, this is a common issue with vehicles that have viscous fan clutches at idle. Even when the fan clutch is locked in high ambient temps. it has a tendency not to pull enough air through the heat exchangers. However check the below listed items that may help with the A/C performance.

4 easy things to check:

1) Make sure your fan clutch is operational, if it isn't locking up it won't pull enough air through the condenser.
    2) Make sure you have enough freon in the A/C system
    3) Make sure the condenser is clean of bugs, paper, debris, leaves, cigarette butts etc. Don't laugh I had a bunch of cigarette butts trapped between the radiator and the condenser when I changed my radiator. Take a hose and clean both the radiator and condenser.
    4) Make sure your mode doors on your HVAC module are opening and closing properly.

That is very good advice. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a common issue with vehicles that have viscous fan clutches at idle. Even when the fan clutch is locked in high ambient temps. it has a tendency not to pull enough air through the heat exchangers. However check the below listed items that may help with the A/C performance.

4 easy things to check:

1) Make sure your fan clutch is operational, if it isn't locking up it won't pull enough air through the condenser.
    2) Make sure you have enough freon in the A/C system
    3) Make sure the condenser is clean of bugs, paper, debris, leaves, cigarette butts etc. Don't laugh I had a bunch of cigarette butts trapped between the radiator and the condenser when I changed my radiator. Take a hose and clean both the radiator and condenser.
    4) Make sure your mode doors on your HVAC module are opening and closing properly.
    My 2002 S10 Blazer 389 C.I. 5-speed, 8 point BD Racing roll cage, 15 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Cell, Custom Traction bars, JAZ lightweight seats with RHS 5-point 3 inch harnesses (Weekend Toy and Harley Trailer Hauler)