Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project : Voodoo Sled

Project : Voodoo Sled

Ok so I couldnt pass up the opportunity to build one of my dream cars which unfortunately means the Blaz is pushed to the side, possibly indefinitely dunno yet. Found this car at a ladies house while fixing her cable and had to get it. Shes a 1950 Chevy Styleline 4 door aka Voodoo Sled (at least eventually it will be). Ive got a ton of ideas for this car on top of the normal restoration. Its not in bad shape as it sits right now. Shes got some cancer on the rockers, truck, and hood but not too bad. The worst is the floors, there arent any in the front. Havent gotten the carpet out to see the back, but the trunk is solid at least. All to be expected of a 63 year old car sitting outside in Florida. It is supposed to still run but the battery was dead so I couldnt test that. The brakes are shot, master cylinder needs rebuilt. Glass is decent but most of it will be replaced when i chop it. Dont know how long this will take, not in a big hurry and will get her done one step at a time as i can.

So heres the list of what will be done to her as i go thru it.

- Body work - Rust repair and shady repairs fixed. Shaving handles, drip rails, and most of the trim while im at it. Frenching the headlights too.
    - 12v Convert - current 6v setup isnt gonna fly.
    - Brakes - Front drums are gettin changed to disks and rear will get an 8.8 Explorer when i go open driveline.
    - Drivetrain - Gonna see if i can get the Inline 6/ Powerglide/ torque tube/ 3 on the tree working for now. Gonna get a 5.3/4l60e later down the road.
    - Choptop - Cant wait to dig into this, gonna go 4" in the front and bout 8" in the rear. Might pancake the trunk while im at it.
    - 2 door convert - On the fence on this one, but wanna do suicide doors so prolly will.
    - Suspension - Was gonna put her on an s10 frame to keep some of my roots but would be more work than its worth unless i find the frame is toast. But will be bagged and layed out either way.
    - Interior - Is in pretty decent shape as it is but will get redone.

'50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Sweet project!! I use to have a two that same model
    If you can't do your custom work yourself then sell your ride.

Yeah I cant wait to get started on it. Gonna be alot of work, but fun.
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Nice! got myself a 54 chevy im building.. love this body style
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

sweet, would love to see some pics of it
    Build Thread

I love these cars. I almost bought an all original, drivable '54 a couple of years ago. Really wish I had. It still ran and drove great.

yeah im really glad i stumbled across this, ive been wanting to build an old classic for a long time, and there just arent enough leadsleds rolling around... too much 30's and 60-70's muscle
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Dragon View Post
    sweet, would love to see some pics of it
    stretched s10 frame 5.3 ls motor... car has no floor or truck floor now.. rockers were rotted completly off so i fabbed up some new beefier ones... its definatly a rust bucket.. but it will be solid soon!

Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

kickass, how much fabbing went into putting it on an s10 frame, i was on the fence about doing that when i put a 5.3 in it later since i know alot more about the dimes than 50s, but i might just "z" the lower arms and bag the stock suspension, rear will get an 8.8 explorer and four linked rear either way...
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Dragon View Post
    kickass, how much fabbing went into putting it on an s10 frame, i was on the fence about doing that when i put a 5.3 in it later since i know alot more about the dimes than 50s, but i might just "z" the lower arms and bag the stock suspension, rear will get an 8.8 explorer and four linked rear either way...

well i cut out the whole floor so i will need to fabb that all up and what not... so in my case there is alot involved.. the track width is about two inches narrower, which in my case is good (tucking wheels) Ive seen alot of people use s10 front frame clips to the stock frame, that seems like alot less work in my book.. u used the whole s10 frame because it was already bagged with a 6 link and had sd arms...and my frame was rotten to hell.. lol
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

ahh, dont blame ya id go that route too if it was already available. im prolly gonna just use the s10 clip, but wont know for sure till i get more disassembled. im in awe at the shit quality of repair work that has been done to this car. is turning out to be alot more rust than i originally thought. half of it is covered over by bondo with a screen backing , i knew the front floors were gone, but the rockers are shot too, just hoping the floor supports are good. the bottom of the doors and fenders are bad, didnt know it till i got em off the car today. oh well still got the car cheap, and its kinda fun fixing it up right.
    Build Thread

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    Nitedragon-keep at it!

Phatfarmer-great work as usual

I have a decent 53 I'm going to try to get running this winter on the original inline 6. I have some other 2 doors and a 4 door sitting in a field. 5 in total.

so ive been plugging away at this thing all week while ive been on vacation. got most if it disassembled, doors off, back glass out, back seat out, drivers fender off.

the more i take apart on this thing the more shitty repairs i find. there is alot more rust on this thing than i thought because it been covered over by 1/2" of bondo with a screen backing. so im just taking it one part at a time. i forgot to take pics of before the rot, but heres the after shots.

i got most of the trim holes shaved from the rear fenders.

put a good amount of work into the drivers fender. turns out the fenders were "deluxe" fenders and had the trim holes bondo'd over so i fixed that. and the bottoms of the fenders were full of rot, so i cut it all out and fabbed new metal in its place. also frenched the headlight while i was welding on it.

i started on the drivers back door when i ran out of time digging thru the inch of bondo over a rust repair.
    Build Thread

i hear ya on the bondo, on mine its very think all trim holes will bondoed over, the rust was fixed with aluminum and rivits then covered over, the floors were fiberglassed as well as the rockers.. pretty much i need to replace about anything 12 inches from any bottom edge lol.. looks like your making some good progress.. keep at it
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Nice progress....poor blazer
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me