Thread: Mystery not starting issue

Mystery not starting issue

About 2 weeks ago I started having an issue with starting the truck. Sometimes would, sometime wouldn't.
    When you turn the key all the dash lights and stuff comes on, turn it over and "dink" and the lights go out and come back on. Shut it off and do again, may or may not start. When it doesn't, you always get the "dink".
    Thought the starter was going out. Finally got around to changing the starter today. It did not fix the problem. Metered the coil. Looks good to me according to how I'm reading the book. Looked over all my wires, didn't see any issues. Changed out the ignition key on the column.
    Still not working right.
    Sounds to me like starter gear is hitting the fly wheel and not having enough torque to move it. But both starters do exactly the same thing.
    Had the trans rebuilt about 250 miles ago?
    Don't know if that is related or just coincidence?

Need some help please.
    Thanks.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    I was going to say wiring. But i dont know if it all looks good. The purple wire goes straight from the column to the starter relay, and then the battery to the starter. Will the starter turn over find if you jump the terminals on the starter?

I'll have to see if jumping the terminals works. I could always just do the wires anyway, wouldn't hurt anything. Where is the starter relay located?

Put a new battery in just to see. That did not fix the problem. Still have to jump the terminals yet.

Are you getting enough voltage to the starter?
    Have you measure resistance in battery cable going to starter?
    Even though it looks o.k. it may have corrosion inside.
    '88, half bagged, 4.3, auto, 241k, 18" IROCS, blah, blah, blah

I had this happen to me a few years back. It ended up being the main positive battery wire to the starter. I found the problem by checking the voltage at the starter under cranking. Volt meter read 13.4 at the battery, 13.4 at the starter not cranking, then dropped to 9.5 at the starter under cranking, but still 13.4 at the battery. It would click the starter, but not start, like a dead battery.

I also bought a new starter, and took two brand new ones back and had them checked and replaced before I found the wire issue.
    Last edited by blazin4low; 04-01-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me