Thread: At least I have a truck again...

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar

At least I have a truck again...

I sold off my last Blazer that I owned right before I bought a house about 4 years ago. I have been driving my little hatchback, subconsciously pretending it was a Blazer. I thought that was close enough, but I was wrong.

Recently, my wife and I inherited a 2000 GMC Sierra. Its obviously not a Blazer but it brings back a lot of memories of my S-10 pickup, which might as well be a Blazer. It has the same steering wheel, many of the same stylized features in the dash with buttons and controls, wing windows in the extended cab, common body features, etc. Plus its red. It just reminds me of my S-10 in all the good ways. (minus the air suspension).

The how and why's of us inheriting it is pretty cool too. It was originally purchased by my wife's dad brand new in 1999. He took care of it as well as I would have but passed away in 2003. As a 3 year old truck it was parked in the garage and only used for situation where a truck was necessary - hauling mulch, picking up wood, using the trailer. Her mom had another car so it was in the garage most of its life. The first time it saw rain since 2003 was when I borrowed it a year ago or so and parked it in my driveway over night.

Skip ahead to recent times and my mother in law is getting re-married. She has given my wife all of her dad's belongings over the years except for the truck. Now that she is engaged, she felt weird having her ex-husbands truck in the garage and her fiance's truck in the driveway. She felt it was best if my wife finally got her Dads truck, got it out of the garage, and let a new truck be spared the outside weather.

So now we have a well kept truck that barely has 60k miles on it with absolute certainty that it WAS garage kept by a little ol' lady who only drove it to pickup wood and mulch on the weekends.

thats awesome... its nice to have it stay in the family
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Cool! Good to see you back, again. Just using it to haul mulch on the weekends, yourself? haha When does it get the hideaway license plate?
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

We have used it to pick up mulch already! But as any homeowner will tell you, trucks come in handy. I've got a door, a sheet of plywood, and some panes of glass. My hatchback wouldn't of been able to get any of that.

I was also able to help my Dad take a bunch of scrap to the recycling center. Its just so easy to load n'go.

As for mods, I think the only thing I am upgrading in the near future is the brake lines. They're looking a little nasty in the back. I know as soon as I undo ANY of the connections, I'll be replacing line back to the master cylinder. So I've got my eye on a stainless steel set from Summit. Just hoping I can find the time to replace them before it becomes a necessity at 45 mph.

My wife has said it is potentially "electrically cursed". Her Dad was into R/C cars and basic electrical tinkering. She has said that he plays tricks on her via electronic devices. Its hard to believe but she does have REALLY shitty luck with cell phones doing odd stuff. The first week we had it, it would randomly choose not to start. Usually for about 10 minutes until I got fuckin pissed and then it would crank perfectly. Even after I replaced the battery. After that week or 10 days or so, it has been fine. So I either earned his respect enough to drive his truck, or he gave up.
    Last edited by s10blazed; 05-22-2015 at 01:05 PM.

That is why I've kept my S trucks around.

I have no idea what the cost is at Summit, but check out http://www.inlinetube.com/ before making a purchase decision. I haven't used them yet, but once I get to that point I'm planning to order up some stainless fuel lines for the Blazer.

A quick search looks like they are about $20 cheaper at the link you posted. Thats not counting shipping and stuff. They do have stainless steel flexible lines, which I did not see on Summit's website. I will end up doing the whole brake system in stainless, so thanks for that.

I'm hoping the muffler goes bad next. I really want an excuse to put something with a little better sound on it.

You're welcome. From what I've heard they seem to be a reputable company and local to me. I've got another tube project with some slight modifications to the stock routing that I'm hoping they can help me with too. Glad to be of help.

I've been a huge fan of Magnaflow mufflers lately. Good quality, stainless, reasonably priced, and sound great. I used 2 on my Audi and have another waiting to go on the Blazer.