Thread: 99 4dr 4x4, wanting to change frames

99 4dr 4x4, wanting to change frames

My wife has a 99 Blazer 4DR 4WD, 4WD doesn't work, I don't want to look for the problem anymore, and we can't seem to sell it unless we give it away plus we really don't need 4WD. SO we want to turn it into a playtruck with a smallblock. I want to put a 2WD frame under it. Could I use a 2WD frame from a second gen 2DR? Or does it have to be from a 4DR? Could I use a first gen frame, if so which one? I understand frame ends are different on a first gen, and I have no problem fabbing bumper brackets.
    Jim C.

97 S10 SCSB, 2WD V8, shaved, walkthru cab
    99 S10 Blazer 4x4

You can still make it a play truck with the 4wd frame. There are several guys on here that have, (they prolly dont visit anymore tho). Superbee was one that comes to mind, this is a video of his... http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...light=superbee . But if really must have a 2wd frame, you cant use a 1st gen or a 2nd gen 2 door for your 2nd gen 4 door unless you wanna make major modifications to em.
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

I definitely intend on using a 2WD frame. Since 2nd gen 2WD 4DR frames seem to be nonexistant, Are the body mounts in the same location on the 1st gen frames?
    Jim C.

99 S10 Blazer 4x4

It's a totally different frame, you'd have to move more than body mounts, you'd prolly have to cut up the floor too. If you want to get that in depth with it you might as well just just get a 2wd front clip and build a new frame back from there, then you can design your suspension at the same time. Unless your wanting to lay out it would be less work to drop a small block or ls motor in what you have and get some lowering keys to get the height your after. Another option you have with the 4wd frame is you can build an v8 awd play truck. With the 4wd setup you can get an olds bravada awd transfer case and pass short shaft (i believe) and build a wicked setup like this guy. http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34569
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Thanks, I appreciate the information. It helps me in my decision on what to do with this pos.
    Jim C.

99 S10 Blazer 4x4