Thread: '85 carb 2.8 swap to '91 TBI... An electrical headache

'85 carb 2.8 swap to '91 TBI... An electrical headache.. HELP PLEASE

I'm putting a 4.3 TBI drivetrain & 2WD frame from a '91 model under an '85 4X4 that had a 2.8 with a carb. :D

I know it's not a V8, so please don't chew my ass for being in the wrong forum. Besides you V8 guys usually know this shit......... :D

I have the complete 4.3. wiring harness from the firewall forward. It fits the '85 harness plug at the firewall. I also have the computer and the harness from the '91 which is installed and was self contained. I just had to make a hole in the firewall for it to go through.

The starter cranks and all of the interior lights/gauges work (oil pressure seems eratic).... I'm not getting any fire to start the motor? run the injectors?. :confused:

Anybody done this conversion? Got any ideas? The FI fuel pump inside the gas tank is working when I supply voltage. Which wire on the fuel pump relay runs the pump?

This was a running engine when swapped so I know I've goofed up somewhere along the way :rofl:
    Last edited by LowKat; 09-30-2002 at 06:19 PM.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

what you need to replace is the dash harness.get it from from a 88-90 with the 4.3.that way it will run.your 85 doesnt have the fuses for the fuel pump and is wired different.
    Originally posted by Tony SS 350
    back to being the dick head you all have come to know and love.

www.myspace.com/bigbadrat

also make sure that you have a positive wire from the battery to the back of that alternator. my blazer would not start b/c i forgot it.

then tan wire off the oil sending unit turns on and off the fuel pump on my 91 like rat said id bet you have a wiring problem my haynes manual says wiring changed in '91
    93 typhoon toy #1
    90 s10 sbc n20 9" track toy #2
    96 s10 ext cab 4.3 beater
    98 s10 ss- RIP
    91 s10 383 stroker- sold
    89 s10- sold

next to sex my z is best tahoeSS's Avatar
    SWAP THE DASH HARNESS. it plugged -in yes,but the pin locations are not located in the proper location,pull your dash out and put the newer dash in,bye-bye headaches......
    84 s10 X-cab,5.7/700r4,c5 wagonwheels;)
    88 s15 350/350,3800 under reconstruction:D
    96 z28 5.7,m6 a few things done:boink:
    95 z28,6.0,t400,4000stall +more:nono: