Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: v8 conversion ?

bigbadrat
    Thanks for finding that out, What size do you think my ring gear is?

Bigbadrat
    I dont quite understand what you mean, If I have a 7.5 rear end why would I have to get axels out of a 7.5 rear end?

YOU DONT IF YOUR REAR IS A 7.5.
    2000 Red Dime sitting low.and pretty.

s-1 only way to know what you have is to get the axle code.it is on top of the right axle tube.there is 3 letters stamped in it.if you get them for me i can tell what you have.after that we can go from there.let me know what you find out.:bigthumb:

bigbadrat
    Are you sure thats were the # is because I looked on the top of both sides and I couldnt see anything, I dont know get back to me and tell me what you think!

:bigthumb: These are probably the best and cheapest set of V8 mounts I'v seen and used for a S10 V8 conversion. $58.95 + $8.00 S/H. They give you a hole lot more adjustment and they get your motor away from your firewall, so that your headers are not to close to the firewall. These are better than summit racing and jegs buy far. Plus they mount up to 2.8 frame mounts. As for the mounts that bolt or weld to your frame. I'v never had a problem with the motor setting too high or candited to one side. Sounds like someone trying to sale their mounts by saying there's are better cause they made them there self :rolleyes:. I'v listed the link from ebay if you are thinking about buying a set.
    Good Luck and it does not take a genius to make a set of mount for a V8 S10...lol $80...please

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...tem=1805428873

Does anyone know if the rear end out of a 4 cyl 96 s-10 will handle a 350 (probably not).....or if 308 gears can handle a 350?

S-1
    3.08 will handle a 350 V8. Its not the problem with the gears breaking but the axles will break if you get them too hook up with a pair of slicks. But if you are spinning tires, then you will have no problem at all. If you are afraid that you might break an axle,then purchase a set of after market axles(molser or strange). Then your problems will be solved. :bigthumb:
    As for gears breaking, people letting there rear-end fluid get low is the reason gears break.
    Good luck :tool:

Thanks man, But do you think that 4cul rear end will work?

s-1
    the rear in the 96 s10 is the stronger rear than you have now.the 96 has the 8.5 ring gear and i heard it is stronger and will hold up to the v8.but that is the rear you need for the v8.

I am just going to get a ford 9" and run 3.55 gears, and call it done. I can find a hunk o junk, FULL 9" rearend for like 100 bucks around here at swap meets.
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

8mpg
    And to finish it off, you wont be done with the rear-end either. You will be still paying for it to the bank. Have you checked on a price of a narrowed ford 9in. rear-end totally set-up. Ford is a hole lot more expensive than a chevrolet rear-end. Let alone one being shortened for a perticular vehicle. Believe me, I have a narrowed 12 bolt in my S10 truck(which I done myself) right now and it still makes me sick thinking about the money I had to send on it when I could have purchased a 8.5 out of a newer S10 and been done with it. Spending only a third of the money. And to ease your mind about the price I spend was about $1800.00. That does include my labor it took too set it up. Buy the newer 8.5 rear-end out of a newer S10 truck and then you will be done. You will thank yourself later on down the road. 8.5 will handle some horsepower and if you think your going to break an axle, purchase some aftermarkets axles.
    Good luck

Well shit. How much would it run me to get a 8.5, with posi.

Should I run traction bars too?
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    hey yenko, do you have a 68 yenko?? or do you just like um. i think they are bad ass, if you got one is it all original?? how much did it run ya?? do you have pics??
    rip SlamminS15

No but wish I did. I am(complete restoration) restoring a 1968 Chevy II Nova as we speak. Im already about $15000.00 in the hole with it and Im not even done with it. To make a long story short, the roof and the firewall is the only thing that is original. It was a LS6 car(250 6 cylinder) with a two speed powerglide with a 8.2 10 bolt rear-end(nothing to talk about). Hopefully to install a Bigblock and a tremec five speed with a 12 bolt rear-end(hopefully--->wife mad at me). I have pictures but do not have a scanner yet. I'm new to the computer world, still lost in the 60's and 70's era...lol. :bigthumb:

8mpg
    They will run anywere from(3.42 gears) $500-$750 in a junkyard. Be sure to check the milage before you buy one. Buy a 98 S10 8.5 rear-end that is worn out for about $150 and have it setup with 3.55 gears. That what I would do, hopefully under $600.
    Traction bars<----Hell Yes or ladder bars if it was me. :D
    That stroker you have makes alot of torque, they will keep your tires planted on the pavement...wheel hope sucks...bad on the rear-end and the u-joints.