Thread: '87 TBI 2.8 starting problem

'87 TBI 2.8 starting problem

my '87 TBI 2.8 doesn't start without excessive cranking. It runs great and only has 125k with a recient tune up.
    If I start it and turn it off, then restart again, it fires on the first crank. But if I let it sit for 15min it has to crank 6 or 7 revs before firing, even if its still hot.

any ideas??
    Keith

is your tbi leaking down? do u smell fuel at start up? u don't pump the pedal before starting do u? i would check out the tbi but what do i know. good-luck, jyd73

i would get some fuel injector cleaner and put in tank at fill-ups.sounds to me like the injectors are just dirty.sometimes it takes 2-3 times to get them clean.hope that helps.
    Originally posted by Tony SS 350
    back to being the dick head you all have come to know and love.

www.myspace.com/bigbadrat

The TBI trucks have (2) ways to energise the fuel pump. When you first turn on the key, the fuel pump relay [firewall by master cyl] turns on the pump to build fuel pressure & then shuts off till the engine is started. If the relay fails, the 2nd switch is an additional oil pressure switch that sends juce to the fuel pump once you have oil pressure. The TBI's bleed off the fuel pressure once it's been shut off for a while. W/ everything shut off, turn the key to 'on' and the pump should buzz for a few seconds. If not, the relay is shot OR has corroded connections.
    1988 tahoe, 3.4 crate w/ 4.3 injectors, 3:42 rear/ 5-speed.
    Two Point Hate no more, aint it great, came in a crate, it's a three point four!

Freelance Gynecoligst V8S10BLAZER350's Avatar
    THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR COULD BE BYPASSING AND RETURNING THE FUEL BACK IN TO THE EVAP SYSTEM OR YOU COULD HAVE LOW FUEL PRESSURE .
    FUELINJECTION IS NICE BUT I'D RATHER BE BLOWN
    DONT BLAME ME I DIDNT MAKE YOU A GIRL

Freelance Gynecoligst V8S10BLAZER350's Avatar
    the easy way to see if it is the fuel pressure reg is to take the vac line off the press reg and see if there is fuel in the vac line
    FUELINJECTION IS NICE BUT I'D RATHER BE BLOWN
    DONT BLAME ME I DIDNT MAKE YOU A GIRL