Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: different kinds of lift

different kinds of lift

So I realize that lowering is all the rage, but hypothetically speaking, if I want to be a loser and actually raise my 2nd gen 2 door, what would be the best way to do it? What are the differences between a suspension lift and a body lift? What are the benefits and consequences of each. Like most people on here, I spent months and months researching how to lower my truck, and I think I've just decided that 2-3" wouldn't be noticable, and I don't have the money nor the know-how to bag a 4x4...so I figured I'd take it up a few inches...but I know nothing about this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=X=

get like a 6 inch suspension lift kit and a 3 inch body lift

Thanx...I've been looking for that picture. So that's 6" suspension plus 3" body lift?

=X=

i dont reccoment body lifts at all unless you dont money to burn on a decent suspension lift kit. im not a professional on monster trucks, but when you get a body lift its basically just blocks to raise up the body from the chassis, and by doing that, you often create a gap between your tailgate and bumper, which can be corrected relatively easy i think (if you thinkin about getting a roll pan wait till you lift your trucK). go with a new suspension system- anything stock sucks. and if youre gonna lift your truck dont get a little wimpy lift so people wonder if you lifted it 2-3 inches, get something between 6 and 10 inches, you mya have to do mods to your truck (the driveline and shit will be on an angle- you may need to correct this). it shouldnt be that big of a deal. but thats the price you pay for being able to go 30mph over speedbumps, and roll over curbs like theyre nothing. or perhaps you wanna bring a hot bitch down the beach to a secluded location and tip a few brews with her and enjoy a sunset- they love that stuff...... anyways, yeah, im looking at a 10 inch lift kit from AIM industires, everyone says AIM sucks but i cant find a complete kit that big on the net anywhere, and it costs like 1500bucks, and probably just as much to install. then im lookin at like 33" - 35" BF goodrich offroad tires that hold 18" rims, theyre pretty sweety lookin, the only way to make em fit is to jack your ride up so the tires arent even in the wheelwell, if ya know what i mean... i actually found a pic on the net of the rim and tire combo i want... i dunno, instant message me if you wanna talk more about it, my AIM (aol) screen name is cloud9
    Last edited by 4x4; 10-23-2002 at 10:15 AM.

4x4 are you lifting a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive? the 4 wheels drives arre harder to lift my buddy just cut off the control arms and removed the front diff and got a straight axle from the front of a jeep its lifted like 10 inches pretty bad ass
    ________
    Red Headed Live
    Last edited by packofqtips; 04-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.

4 wheel drive of course - i cant stand those who lift 2 wheel drive trucks. although that silverado on the current issue of truckin is 2 wheel drive and 16" of custom lift and most likely will only get stuck in a few feet of mud- i think its kinda pointless to do that if you dont got 4 wheel drive. shit i think its kinda pointless that the guy who bought that truck bought it knowing it was a 2 wheel drive HD and knew he was going to lift it. he owns gibson exhaust or something like that- i dont know why he didnt just spend an extra thousand or so and get that chevy HD 4 wheel drive! but yeah, i only condone jacked up 4 wheelers, or all wheel drive if you wanna lift your cadillac escalade a foot or two

yea but its easier to lift a 2 wheel drive than a ifs 4x4
    ________
    Zoloft Attorneys

how embarassed would you be to get your jacked 2 wheel drive truck stuck on the beach cuz you lost momentum in some loose sand? unless you got like 44's or somethin, you can be screwed over... it aint fun, or cheap getting towed off a beach... unless youre installing the lift kit yourself(which i personally probably wouldnt do, id try my hand at installin a bolt on/block lowering kit though), it shouldnt matter if its easy or not- may cost a few extra dollars from the shop though. i just dont see a point in lifting up a 2 wheel drive truck..... does anyone else on this forum know about lifting s-series trucks up? someone said there was probably major mods to be done over 6" of lift- but what kinds of mods and how would they be accomplished?

look up in this thread in order to get 9 inches of lift my friend had to cut the front end out and put a straight axle out of a jeep in the front
    ________
    Side Effects Of Paxil

Hey all, thanks for all of the advice. I'm not really any closer to deciding what I want to do, but at least I know what some of the options are.

I'd love to jack my truck up 10", but there's a problem here. This is my daily driver truck, and I need to be able to park it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull in my garage with a 6" lift and 33" tires, so a 10" lift is out of the question.

By the way, that reminds me, how does lifting and putting bigger tires on effect your turning radius and so on?

=X=

P.s. I would like to look at those tires that hold 18" wheels...where can you find those and how much do they run?

you turn better in sand and loose dirt and shit with a jacked 4x4 with beefy tires, but not as well on the road but who cares youll have a monster truck
    you have turning issues when you lower your truck too
    lifted 2 door 2nd generation blazers are HOT

why you gonna pamper an offroad beast and garage it? shit only worry about garaging a convertible or if you got an ill new paint job with dope graphics and theres a hail/sleet storm on the way, or if people dont like you. or if youre in a situation where you must park in the garage (cuz your driveway is full of stuff that should be in your garage). if worst comes to worst, my dad bought one of those portable garage type things, its like a big tent, theyre realtively cheap and pretty cool, they double as a little work shop too so you can wrench on your blazer when its raining outside. this guy i know doesnt even have a garage and has one of those portable ones, and he installed a wood floor and a fuckin heating system in it so he can fix up his jeep in the cold shitty weather

im not sure if 2wd has the same turning radius as a 4x4
    jack your shit up and bag it man. youll be the fuckin man on this forum is you do, and youd probably get a hell of a lot of points at shows for doing that
    that guy lazerbug fabricated his own brackets for a 2nd generation blazer and he says aired out it almost lays frame, which is impressive i think, and he has no drop kit installed or anything, nor a c-notch. he says that you install them above the upper control arms in front, so i can kinda picture in my head how it would look installed on a jacked up truck. there was a post a little while ago that i was involved in, i dont have the time to find it right now, but, so a search for my user name, its about a white dodge pickup jacked on some big bogger tires WITH airbag suspension! nice! and in one of my truckin mags they have a huge red and blue or purple ford excursion monster truck that has big ass semi/tractor trailer airbags on it. its pretty damn sweet. the best ride possible, on an unstoppable ride.
    Last edited by 4x4; 10-23-2002 at 11:52 AM.

Well, to be honest, I probably won't do much off roading. I've bought this truck to "trick out" and for the longest time, I had planned on lowering it. But I decided that, first of all, I could really only lower it 3-4" with a conventional kit, and air bags are pretty expencive, and complicated on a 4x4. So I figured, if I want to have a custom truck, and I want to be more practical (because is snows ALOT here) then maybe I should raise it instead.

On top of that, I do plan on putting a custom paint job on it. As far as those portable garages go, the subdivision I live it won't let you have them...you're not even supposed to park your car outside unless you absolutly have to. So I really would like something that fits in the garage. Now, it can just barely fit in the garage, but I have to squeeze it in there some how.

=X=

if it barely fits in your garage right now, then damn, i dont know what to tell you, sell it and get a honda or something then you can trick it out, and you can even make it sound like a weedwacker!