Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear ends

building 350 for my baby! stock/slammer's Avatar

rear ends

Like I know that everyone is fond of getting a ford 9 inch but finding one and doing all the mods would be not so easy. Is there any chevy 12 bolt rear end that would work????

There are no rear ends, other than a s-series, that will bolt into it. All with have to have some type of mods. I've heard it rumored that an 8.8 from a mustang or exploder will fit without having to narrow the rear end itself. Not sure on it though. And, Im pretty sure they have a different bolt pattern. So you'd need custom axles, or adaptors. And, you need to add spring perches, and figure out the brakes.

If your gonna narrow a rear, make sure its a strong one. Iv'e seen guys narrow 8.2's and 8.5's. Then end up breaking them. Get a 9" or a big 12 bolt. BTW, the pumpkin cover bolts don't always tell what size it is. EX, there's 8.5" 10 bolt rears with a 12 bolt cover on the pumpkin. Most guys just count the number of bolts on the cover to tell between a 10 and 12 bolt.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Rear End

I have read on one of the other blazer sites that a 1997 ford explorer will bolt in but you need to move the shock mounts. The explorer rear ends are all disk brakes.:smoker:

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    they are disc brake but not a 9inch and you can take the brakes off of an exploror or crown victoria and put them on a 9inch.

thats how my brother and I have 2 disc brake 9inch's
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    WHERE WERE YOU A FEW MONTHS AGO!!!!

about 2 months ago i did extensive research on all ford 9" and 8.8" 's. i found that the closest thing is the ranger 8.8. it seems like it would bolt right up, BUT i ran into 2 things that made me pull my hair out, after a few days on several ford ranger forums.
    1. the ranger 8.8 is mounted different. where our springs go under the diff, theirs go over it, so you would have to modify it, or might be able to turn it upside down to make it work. but this would cause problems with the brakes. just trust me on that one.

2. if you can get over the mount and brake issue(which i thought i would be able to do) you will be pissed when you actually do find a ranger and slide under it to check out the rear. the fucking pumpkin is off set to the passenger side!! WHO IS THE "GENIUS" THAT THOUGHT OF THIS?? talk about cussing and throwing shit around! my weeks of reasearch went down the tubes when i found this out.

so basically there is no direct bolt on. you will have to get one shortened, or have a new housing made. you can get them done for around $650 if you do a little searching. this is just for the housing, the third member is more. any ?'s about the 8.8 or different size 9" 's just ask, i did alot of reasearch!!!
    rip SlamminS15

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    ou can get them done for around $650 if you do a little searching

prices vary. you can get a rear cut down to whatever specs for $100 a side and resplined axels down here.

i would have told ya the pumpkin is offset. thats why you shorten the rear you shorten one more than the other.

and to get around the mounting it up as you have the s10 leafs are on top rangers on bottom

you take both rears out and measure them ect. cut the leaf mounts off the s10 rear and weld them on the ranger one.

we done this already but with a fact. 4link rear
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

i have measured the 8.8 out of the explore it is the same size, shock mounts and leaf brackets have to be welded, $35 out of jegs no use cuttin of the s-10 ones as far as the pumpkin being off centr it didn't look that way on the one i looked at- i will look again,
    93 wrangler s/o supercharged 4.0
    87 struck convert 350 t5 hot orange
    93 ranger notched and bagged
    03 honda 919
    03 venture-

well, i looked at a ranger. if the explorer one works, let me know, cause i might start lookin for one if it isnt off center.
    rip SlamminS15

who cares if its off center? it shoudln;t realy cause any problems. its probably better for your u-joints that way anyway caues they get mroe movement. the reason its off ceonter is so the axles cna be the same length i think.. hell ur gonna hve to modiy your driveshaft to work with that rear anyway .. u migh thjsut have to lengthen it a bit to make up for the off center pumpkin
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

o ya... is there any easy way to identify a 97 (or whatever year exploere it is ) i might go to teh junyard and try to find one when i get a chance.
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

you know what, i never even thought about that. maybe i will do more reasearch, cause i know the driveshaft needs modification anyways. now i have to figure out if the ranger comes in 3.73.

by the way, PLEASE slow down when you type, i have to read all of your posts like 3 times.
    rip SlamminS15

Slow Ride
    The 9" I got from Currie is offset to the drives side like the factory one.

the ranger one is like real offset(to the pass), i dont see how the axles can be the same length there, the pass just looks so short
    but i will measure again i guess. let me see if i can find out some gear rats on those 8.8's im gonna go ask the guys on rangerforum.com
    rip SlamminS15

The Ford Ranger 8.8 is only 28 spline. The one in the Explorer is 31 spline but the rear is also wider I believe. To me if you're going to go through all the trouble of making an 8.8 work the 28 spline just isn't worth it.

The problem with the rearend out of the Explorer is that it's 59 3/4 in wide.
    Last edited by Rcv; 11-17-2002 at 06:17 AM.

that is way to wide, the ranger one is 55, our rear is 54, so i figured with enough rim backspacing, you wouldnt notice a half inch on each side. but i dont think you could hide59 3/4. resplining it would be alot cheaper for me than getting a custom made 9". i know a guy that does diffs and trannies

but now that i think bout it, it wouldnt cost that much to have a 9" diff cut down and some new axles out in it. sure the 8.8 would be cheaper, but if i am gonna go ford, might as well out in the 9.
    Last edited by Tony Sport; 11-17-2002 at 12:37 PM.
    rip SlamminS15