Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear ends

the 8.8 in both the rangers and the exploders is offset to the right. i think the left axle housing is approx 3.5 inches longer. only the 4.0 rangers have the 8.8 all exploders have it but you can get a 3.55 trac-lok in the v8/2wd trucks.
    steve garrard
    91 s10, 91 VR4, 97 T/A, 95 stealth RT

What would the offset bother? That angle would be just like the angle of the pinion right?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    What would the offset bother? That angle would be just like the angle of the pinion right?
    pretty much...yeah. it would be just a little more movement for the U-joints. i dont think it would interfere with anything but i havent test-fitted it so im not sure.
    steve garrard
    91 s10, 91 VR4, 97 T/A, 95 stealth RT

You can use a passenger side offset on the rearend to your advantage by offsetting the entire drivetrain to the pasenger side. This isn't a novice install, as the appropriate motor and tranny mount position modifications must be made. But it sure helps clear the steering column.

70's Muscle car Mopars also came with a 2-3" passenger offset pinion.

how hard is it to swap a camaro rear into a blaze?

Originally posted by pr1mo360
    how hard is it to swap a camaro rear into a blaze?
    Are you talking about a torque arm axle? '82 to present?
    PITA, and totally not worth the effort. Why?

1) You still have a 7-5/8" axle.
    2) You have to narrow it.
    3) You have to either: A) Cut off all the suspension brackets and weld on leaf spring perches, or B) ditch your leaf springs and fabricate control arm mounts, panhard bar mounts and adapt the torque arm, or make one.
    '92 Jimmy, 4.3 CPI/auto, 2dr,2WD, 3/4 drop, 3.73's w/zexel. Bodywork in progress, LT1/6spd getting dusty.
    '94 Blazer w/GMC superiority complex, 4.3 TBI/5 spd, 4dr,4WD, 255/55/18's, fresh blue/black metallic.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low
    I keep mine nice and lubed with anti-sieze and it helps out alot...
    :D

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    the camaro rear sucks, thats why people that have high performance camaro's switch over to the 9". face it, ford beat us when it comes to differentials, but we still beat them at the track. i think i am just gonna get a custome rear housing made by moser for like 700. then i can just get the third member from a piece of shit with 31 spline, and have it re geared with an eaton locker at my friends shop. one day....but i will probally run the stocker for a while. i wont have performance heads on it right away, but i will have a hard shifting tranny...i will just have to take it easy i guess
    rip SlamminS15

i always wondered why their was so many rear ends still left in camaros at salvage yards
    now i know
    thanx guys

heheheehehehe
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Now that I've talked smack about the 7.5/7.625's,
    I know of two exceptions to the rule. Both running built LT1 and/or LT4 on huge shots of nitrous, and dragstrip launches on slicks. Both of these have held up to this abuse for quite a while...and both of the guys running them realize they are living on borrowed time.

I've built one for mine, narrowed, Moser axles, the whole bit. I retained all the F-body's suspension for it, and did every possible mod to keep it alive. I'll still probably break it at some point on the street with a manual transmission and N20. That is, if it ever makes it's way into the Jimmy.
    '92 Jimmy, 4.3 CPI/auto, 2dr,2WD, 3/4 drop, 3.73's w/zexel. Bodywork in progress, LT1/6spd getting dusty.
    '94 Blazer w/GMC superiority complex, 4.3 TBI/5 spd, 4dr,4WD, 255/55/18's, fresh blue/black metallic.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low
    I keep mine nice and lubed with anti-sieze and it helps out alot...
    :D